The city of Nottingham held their own memorial service in June 1917. Below, is that said procession.
Note the turn out. On the left, prisoners given special leave to attend.
On the right, respect from the German officers kitted out in all their military regalia
Captain Albert Ball is the only Englishman buried in the German section of Annoeullin Cemetery in grave number 643. Over the years the grave has been marked with three very different crosses/markers here are they all are.
Above left is the first cross, which was erected in 1917 and made by the Germans. This can now be found at Albert's old school - Trent College. Middle cross was erected in December 1918. It was made and put up by personnel of the Number 207 Squadron of the Royal Air Force. The final cross for the grave was erected in 1919.
The Imperial War Graves Commission (now Commonwealth War Graves Commission) were working at the time to consolidate the British war graves into fewer cemeteries; 23 British bodies in graves in the location where Albert Ball was buried were moved to the Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, but at his father's request Albert's grave was allowed to remain. Albert Sr. paid for a private memorial to be erected over grave, No. 643, in what later became the Annoeullin Communal Cemetery and German Extension. Albert's is the only British grave from the First World War in this extension, the rest are all German. Albert's father also bought the French field where his son had died and erected a memorial stone on the crash site.
On 9th May he was buried in a wooden coffin and given a full military funeral at Annoeullin cemetery.
Captain Albert Ball died, in combat, on 7th May 1917 after a short but fantastic military campaign.